Tuesday 3 September 2013

12 Lessons Worth Learning


It's time to go back to school, and with the end of a summer holiday season I can't help but look back on the fun of the last few months (only the good stuff deserves any of my focused attention)  I can't believe how quickly the calendar has flipped to September.  The old adage about time flying when you're having fun rings true for me today especially.  

I had a totally different idea to share with you today but there has been a last minute change of plans as it's these thoughts that seem to be begging to be re-shared.  

A few months ago I shared a list of 12 life lessons that I had learned while hanging out with a 4 year old. These same ideas popped up a number of times over the past weekend as I was blessed to spend time with kids who were quite a bit older than 4 years. These pre-teen and teenage kids seem to have one foot planted firmly in their childhood while with the other foot, they are testing the waters of the grown up world.

It was interesting to me to watch them embrace, at some moments, many of the traits and habits they formed in their younger years, while at the very same time becoming more reserved and more aware of those who were watching or perhaps passing judgement now. As an observing adult who is consciously embracing my 4 year old habits whenever I can, it felt important to me to nurture both the kid and the grown up in them (as I do in myself). I kept thinking how great it would be if at 35 they didn't have to go back and try to find their lost younger self. 

Children, as "new" and "unknowing" as they seem, really have figured a lot of it out. We are born knowing our Source connection. And as children we haven't had time yet to learn the new behaviours that will grow us up. For instance...



A child's connection to Source is pure and unaltered by experience. As an adult I have learned so many things that make many of the behaviours of a 4 year old inappropriate in my day to day. I am not suggesting that we all act as children. But what I am suggesting is that the simplicity of the 4 year old be something we keep close and not bury too deep in our complicated adult worlds.  

Spend some time with your 4 year old self and rediscover the connection to Source that was once so pure. Your connection isn't and never will be gone, but it may be hidden under some learned behaviours.

Is there a way that you can have it all? Can the adult you and the 4 year old you share your life or parts of it? What do you think? How do you find the balance? I'd love for you to share your thoughts and ideas either here in the comments section or over on my Facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment