Tuesday 10 December 2013

A Simple Symbol Can Help To Build A Foundation Faith

I absolutely LOVE the festive holidays. That's not new news. The lights, the cheery music, tinsel, all things colourful and sparkly.... but most of all, I love the magical feeling of it all. There is something about the idea of Santa Clause that is of miracle minded importance. I tried to explain my festive feelings this year but I wasn't able to to do it justice.  "Just because" some how wasn't enough, yet I struggled to come up with more. But then.... as I was introducing some of my new favourite people to my old favourite holiday movie (Miracle on 34th Street), it was all laid out for me by Santa Clause himself. 



"I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanour you know. I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt." ~Kris Kringle


WOW! How great an explanation is that?! Its exactly what I wanted to express. Well done Saint Nick!!



The season's magic is about so many things for each of us. Whether you have family with whom you celebrate or friends, the lights and the magic and the spirit of the season is there for everyone.  It's out in the (frozen) open. If you look you can find it in the hustle and bustle of the street, under a piece of shiny wrapping paper, and in the glow if the trees on your neighbour's front lawn. If you listen you can hear it in the music and if you open your heart you can feel it in the giving and the receiving of best wishes for the new year.


For this kid (me), Christmas giving is not about the tangible gift giving (though picking out a gift for someone I love I find really REALLY  fun) It is about the feelings brought out by it all (there is my friend 'fun' again).  Its about the best in all of us making its way to the surface for all to see. It's about thinking of another and keeping a sweet secret to create a good surprise. It's about showing faith in the presence miracles. It's about teaching kids (and reminding many adults) to believe. It's about being a part of something bigger than myself.


You have to believe it to see it



What a great reminder this time of year can be. When adults can be as wide eyed as children and a small gesture of gratitude seems to carry more weight. When so many more of us are allowing ourselves to flow through our day in our natural state of love and kindness for all. It's all so exciting. 


In Matthew verse 18:20 it is said that "When two or more of you are gathered in my name, there I will be also."  Tis the season, whether we are conscious of our choices or not, that more of our actions are born from a heart centred place (for many of us we just do it that way a little more often this time of year.) and as we feel the extra goodness, we evoke a presence of something greater than ourselves.  Faith, in whatever feels right for you, shall be your rescue from a life dominated by doubt.



Is there something magical about the festive season where you are?? Do you have a feeling about this time of year that is somewhat unique to the season?? Remembering also that this time can be difficult for many, I wish you all the very best that the season has to offer.  May you find yourself basking in the heart centered actions of yourself and of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment